If you aren’t headed out of town this weekend, and you are burned out on the pool, here are some other fun ways to fill out the days:
- If you have young kids, then there’s no better place to be than the Adventure Theatre in Glen Echo Park on September 3 from 10-4. To celebrate the theatre’s open house, some of the most popular children’s books authors will be signing their books. And all the little pirates can gather round for some loot….or participate in a light saber adventure class demo. Here are the details: The day’s schedule begins with Light Saber Adventures Class Demo (Grades K-2) and a visit by the Pirate who will share his free Pirate’s Booty with attendees. Additional activities throughout the day include book signings by published children’s book authors Judith Viorst, author of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, and Eileen Christelow, author of Five Little Monkeys, as well as readings by Montgomery County’s Chief of Police J. Thomas Manger and Helen Hayes Nominee and star of Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, Felicia Curry. Books will be available onsite to purchase. Other class demonstrations include Explore with Dora & Diego (Ages 2-3). Download the full schedule here.
- For baseball fans, the Nationals have teamed up with the Washington Post to offer really fun events all weekend long, beginning on Friday.
But more specifically, Sunday Sept. 4 is Kids Day. $1 tickets will be available for the Nationals series finale against the Mets to children ages 3-12. Fans may buy up to four tickets for $1 each with the purchase of one full-priced adult ticket in select areas. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Box Office on game day and are subject to availability. Also on Sunday, the Nationals will host the seventh annual Kids Run the Show Day, presented by The Washington Post. Children from across the DC Metropolitan Area were invited to enter the annual contest in The Washington Post and The Express to win the opportunity to “Run the Show.”
- For a different twist on the long weekend, have a true DC “Staycation” and take advantage of the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria’s Family Summer Fun Package, starting at $179 , which features complimentary milk and cookies nightly as well as a free in-room movie for each night of stay. The package is available through September 11th, and can be booked using the FAMFUN rate code. In addition to offering a great summer package, the hotel also offers a multitude of complimentary perks targeted towards the under-16 set, including:
· Dive-In Movie Night – Ahoy mates! The Monaco’s heated 40-foot indoor swimming pool is the best place for kids to spend a Saturday night. Each Saturday at 8:00 p.m., the hotel dims the lights, pulls out the inflatable pool furniture and shows great moves to splash and cheer to on a screen right by the pool.
· Kids Hour –Kids command the living room for a whole hour every day from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. at the Monaco Alexandria. With games such as Wii, Trivial Pursuit and coloring books, and fruit snacks, juice and freshly popped popcorn available to fuel kids for an evening with their parents.
· Explore by bike…or wagon – Complimentary Phat Cycle bikes are available for adults and teens to use to explore the neighboring sights, whether it be a bike trip to Mount Vernon or a ride along the Potomac River. For those with little ones, take advantage of the hotel’s radio flyer wagons to stroll through Old Town, which has tons of boutiques, galleries and restaurants to peruse.