The last time I packed up and moved was October 2004. Back then, I left my one bedroom apartment on Connecticut Ave in Cleveland Park with my husband, a pick up truck and our biggest concern was making sure we reserved the elevator space so we could move out that day.
Fast forward to July 2012, 2 kids and a house later…..it’s a dramatically different scenario. Packing up your house to move forces you to take a hard look at yourself..and your habits…and how you accumulate stuff.
Frankly, this process exposes the bowels of your soul to yourself. Here are 10 things I’ve learned about moi in the past few weeks:
1. I love baskets for storing things…anything…you name it….big baskets with shoes, big baskets with stuffed animals, small baskets with hand towels. I have a problem.
2. I don’t know how to fold sheets…if I did….I’d realize I have way more sets of sheets in the linen closet than I ever believed possible.
3. My children have too many clothes.
4. Stuffed animals are the devil.
5. I might be a hoarder.
6. I can’t part with a purse even if it’s been 5 years since I last used it….it could come back to style (see #5).
7. Apparently I believe all of life’s moments deserve to be captured by the camera and then put into a picture frame. This is great. Until all the picture frames need to be wrapped and packed. (see #5).
8. I will never admit to the volume of things in my closet. This could be used against me by Mr. Wired Momma. So let’s remember again, my children have too many clothes. (see #5).
9. I clearly don’t think one junk drawer is enough. The question is – will I purge the junk drawer here or will I toss it in a box and then let my future self (you know, myself in exactly one week) determine whether to purge at new house or just toss into a new junk drawer? #MyFutureSelfFindsTodayMeAnnoying (see #5)
10. In my head, I’m super organized and I carefully put away the kids winter clothes, rotate out the ones that don’t fit them and put them in storage and keep all holiday related decorations stowed away in carefully labeled storage bins. In reality, not so much. I’m the queen of 3/4 done. This is highly annoying when moving and everything needs to belong somewhere. #WhereDoTheRandomsGo? (see #5).
And finally….moving sucks. But unpacking is awesome. Could someone project me to Friday? If you want to keep up with the WM fun between my move and when there’s time to write again, “Like” the WM Facebook page. There’s always time to post links and fun comments there.