Parenting in Washington, DC is never dull or easy but it can be hilarious. Published author, owner & founder of public affairs based social media firm, SOMA Strategies, and contributor to Huffington Post DC and Washingtonian Magazine, Wired Momma is one of Washington’s top parenting bloggers. A self-proclaimed expert on nothing, with an opinion on everything, Wired Momma is the place in the blogosphere for a jolt of parenthood, with a sprinkle of snark and plenty of Moi Loves Moi back-patting. WM’s two children, ages 5 and 8, give her endless fodder for blog material.
The Wired Momma blog covers local parenting issues in DC and also broader parenting topics, known particularly for her sense of humor and making others laugh, WM delights in covering the realities of raising toddlers. She also tends to gravitate towards work-life “balance” issues and the challenges all parents face when trying to manage career and children.
Here’s a quick snapshot of my deep thoughts – therefore this is what I write about most often (in no particular order):
- Mommy guilt is a colossal waste of time and energy;
- The mommy wars are super boring – I fell asleep writing that sentence;
- This notion of American mothers being obsessed with perfection is a media construct. Sure, a few of them are out there, but she receives so much attention because it’s shocking and generates web site traffic;
- There is no such thing as work-life balance, there are work-life choices;
- Motherhood is not the hardest job in the world – I can think of a lot tougher – like say man-on-man combat, killing Osama Bin Laden, open heart surgery, air traffic control. But motherhood is humbling and constant – and there are a million different ways to do it – so it’s endlessly fun to discuss;
- Three-year-olds are the punishment we receive for everything mean and spiteful we ever did to our parents as kids;
- We all need more “moi loves moi” in our life.
With a book mulling about in her brain, WM instead passes her time commenting on hot parenting topics, mocking bad celebrity baby names, and occasionally reviewing fabulous local events for kids, especially children’s theater, which is a favorite past-time chez moi. She also runs a consulting company, SOMA Strategies, specializing in public affairs and social media, connecting DC-based organizations and trade associations to parenting bloggers.
Please subscribe to the blog, follow me on Twitter @wired_momma or for extra special fun and more regular commentary and links, “like” Wired Momma on Facebook, for some reason I am more interactive on Facebook than Twitter. If you are an advertiser and would like to reach parents in the DC area, this is the place in the blogosphere to do it. As for give-aways, I tend to do them only sporadically and typically only if they are specific to DC.
I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, I try my best to respond to all inquiries but sometimes it doesn’t happen. Forgive moi. Oh, and my real name is Monica.